By requesting to join our mailing list you have provided information about yourself (‘personal data’). We (the University of Oxford) are the ‘data controller’ for this information, which means we decide how to use it and are responsible for looking after it in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and associated data protection legislation.
The type of data we collect
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Your name
- Your role in school, college, or other educational organisation
- Your school / work email address
How we get the personal information and why we have it
Most of the personal information we process is provided directly to us by you so that we can send you information related to the Bodleian Education programme.
We also get some information indirectly from school or Local Authority websites so we can ensure that all local schools are able to receive information related to the Bodleian Education programme.
How we use your data
We will use your data to send you information about news, resources, events, and offers related to the Bodleian Education programme.
We will only use your data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another related reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your data for an unrelated purpose, we will seek your consent to use it for that new purpose.
We will not provide your data to other parts of the University of Oxford, or to other organisations so they can use it for marketing purposes.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- Your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In this event, we will stop the processing as soon as we can. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before your withdrawal of consent. You can also manage your preferences by clicking on the link that appears at the bottom of every email we send.
- We have a legitimate interest: the processing is necessary so that schools and their staff can receive information relating to the Bodleian education programme.
Who has access to your data?
Access to your data within the University will be provided to those who need to view it as part of their work in carrying out the purposes described above.
Where we use a cloud based service provider for our mailing lists we will share your data with them so they can provide the service. These companies are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your data in line with our policies. We do not allow them to use your data for their own purposes. We permit them to process your data only for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Where we share your data with a third party, we will seek to share the minimum amount necessary.
Retaining your data
We will retain your data until you unsubscribe or ask us to change it or delete it.
Your data will be held securely in accordance with the University’s policies and procedures. Further information is available on the University’s Information Security website.
Where we store and use your data
We store and use your data on University premises, in electronic form.
Electronic data may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"), for example, when we communicate with you using a cloud based service provider that operates outside the EEA such as Survey Monkey/MailChimp/Eventbrite/Wufoo/etc.
Such transfers will only take place if one of the following applies:
- the country receiving the data is considered by the EU to provide an adequate level of data protection;
- the organisation receiving the data is covered by an arrangement recognised by the EU as providing an adequate standard of data protection e.g. transfers to companies that are certified under the EU US Privacy Shield;
- the transfer is governed by approved contractual clauses;
- the transfer has your consent;
- the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or to take steps requested by you prior to entering into that contract; or
- the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract with another person, which is in your interests.
Information on your rights in relation to your personal data
If you wish to raise any queries or concerns about our use of your data, please contact us at email@example.com or Data protection, Clarendon Building, Broad Street, Oxford OX1 3BG